Thursday, November 19, 2009

Matt. 6:33

I listened to Francis Chan's latest message "The Holy Spirit and Our Effort part 1" It was over 2 Peter 1:5-11. He was talking about character focusing on verses 5-8 this week. He asked "What do you work hardest at?" Then said for himself this past year he was more concerned with accomplishments rather than being the man of God God wants him to be. Which I feel rings all too well with me except it has been the past couple months. Peter instructs us to make every effort to add character, to who God has called you to be not accomplishments. He told a story: So Jesus comes in and Jesus give each one of us one of two choices," For the year of 2010 you could have a great year. Really easy, good relationships, good marriage - not married and want to be its okay perfect spouse you'll meet this year, work you make 3 times as much as you did in 2009, etc. The year will be great but you aren't stronger at the end and you and I...we won't be closer. Or plan B: It's going to be pretty rough, lots of trials, but it's okay because i'm with you and we'll be closer than we have ever been before and you've be stronger in your faith than ever. But it is going to be a really tough year. So what's your pick, plan A or plan B?" This made me think a lot. I wan so badly to be contagious, to be overflowing with Christ then hard times come and I fail...No more. I want to be like Christ i'm praying to be molded and shaped like Christ no matter what it takes! That's a scary statement, a scary prayer, but I mean it. I was asked today by a friend how I was soing to which I responded, "overall good." With further inquiry I began to explain, "It's hard being back. It's hard being on a Christian campus and wanting to be so contagious, to be so radical, so overflowing with Christ that I am standing out because of Christ - but unsure what that looks like. Its hard to be at school when I don't know why (major). It's hard when I don't have those deep friendships near. Its hard finding the balance between friends and school. It's hard to be single when everyone is talking about marriage...but I'm broken, God is humbling me, making me nothing. Making me dependent on Him for the future, with school, in relationships, and life. I'm glad I'm here in this, going through it all. I want so badly to be like Christ! I yearn to be who He has created me to be. Chan also said, "God is more concerned about changing you then your circumstances." And I think I'm beginning to understand at least for now and understand a glimpse that I am here to grow. Seems like a "duh" concept but as for those who know me I have many of those moments. Then the verse 8, "For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ." I have been so concerned with accomplishments I've missed Character and have seen the very beginning of the down slide of being unproductive - not okay but, Praise God for revealing it to me now at the beginning, Praise God for waking me up!

Character over accomplishments
Seeking Christ over all!

No comments: