Deny yourself daily and follow me.
How many times have you read this? How many times have you conversed about it? How many times have you pleaded that with God that this would be your daily walk with Him? But what happens when you are faced with a choice like the rich young ruler...
Jesus I want you and only you. You whisper those words again to Him in the still of the morning before the chaos of the day ensues. Only You please Jesus. The sun rises over the horizon of trees; the sky is painted with beautiful colors and you can't help but smile. You go about your daily routines, periodically reminded of your conversation with Jesus earlier that morning. You try you best for that to be true, for your life to be full of Jesus and only Him... but there's that one thing that has your attention more than Jesus and as much of your thoughts have gone to Him today they have gone twice as much to your thing. Your love and efforts have gone towards your thing. It is in the relaxation of the evening you hear, "Give up everything you have to follow me." You've thought about that before when you read the story of the rich young ruler and you thought to yourself Of course I would do that. Doesn't the rich young ruler realize what he is forfeiting? So this time when you hear Him say "give up everything and follow me." again you say Of course Lord. a few more hours pass "You must hate those around you in comparison of your love for me." Genuinely you think over your relationships. I do love you. Then He says, "No you aren't getting it. You can't serve two masters." You aren't sure how to respond. But only you are... "All you are striving after will rust and be destroyed. I am the only one who will not fail you or disappoint you. Beloved, you have to choose. Do you truly want me or do you want your thing?" The confusion is wiped clear from your face as you finally understand what Jesus is saying. "You cannot have both. It is me or your thing. Who do you truly want?"
Will your response be like that of the rich young ruler - who couldn't let go of his thing? Or will you be like Zacchaeus who saw the worth of Jesus and gave all of his thing? Or the man who sold all he had to buy the field?
This is all easier said. You know that, I know that. But when you are literally faced with an ultimatum who will you choose?
I will tell you this. Jesus is worth it. He is worth losing whatever it may be. Yes there will be pain, withdrawals, humility, tears, fear... but He is worth it. I promise you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks K-dawg. I needed to read this today. Praying for you, dear friend! I love you!
Post a Comment