Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jesus is a straight shooter

Despite all that He taught me the other night I found myself this morning as we were listening to more of our job description and our different tasks all the insecurities came back again. Looking around the room at the different community life staff and seeing their strengths and realizing those aren't my strengths at all. Knowing Christ chose me out of the world but just not believing that I can do this. After lunch Jesus reminded me of Peter. As Peter took steps out onto the water towards Jesus but then started falling it wasn't lack of faith in Jesus but himself. He doubted that he could do it. But thinking about to the moment that Jesus said, "come follow me" and they dropped their nets immediately to follow. They left their jobs, their families, friends, security everything to follow Jesus, why? Back in their day to the boys ould go through schooling and eventually ask to follow a Rabbi and if the Rabbi thought you knew enough and had it then you could follow him. If not they would follow in the family trade. The rabbis were the most respected people so to have Jesus come up to these guys who were fisherman (meaning they didn't cut it) and have Him ask them, of course they are going to follow Him immediately. Jesus asked them because He believed they could cut it, that they had it in them to be like Him, to follow Him. Now going back to the water, Peter didn't believe that he could do it but Jesus wouldn't have said, "come follow me" if he didn't think Peter had it in him.

straight shot. Just as I was doubting in my abilities despite the fact that I knew He chose me Jesus says, "No I chose you because as you abide in me you can do this. I wouldn't have chosen you if you couldn't." He pulled in all I have been learning about being nothing unless I abide in Him, choosing me, and now believing in me.

I still don't fully get this but You chose me. You said, "come follow me." And while I am still learning to believe in myself You are worthy of me dropping my nets and following immediately...wherever that may be or in whatever that may be, dropping it right away simply because You said, "come follow me."

No comments: