I went into the theater the other night excited to learn more from
another documentary. I’m not one who
likes small talk or fiction. I like to be challenged by what I read and the
conversations I have I want them to have a purpose, for there to be
intentionality… this life is too short to waste time.
How could I forget the 27 million? Their bondage physically,
emotionally, and psychologically gripped me so hard almost three years ago I
couldn’t escape it. It seemed these once hidden chains showed up in all my conversations,
in classes, every day places I had seen so many times before, even the new
books in my schools library told stories of those chains. So instead of run and
hide, though it would have been easier, I grabbed a flash light and went in for
the discoveries. I wasn’t prepared for what I read in, Siddharth Kara’s Sex
Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery or the stories Nicholas
Kristof and Love146 had to share but how does one know that slavery exist and
turn a blind eye? We have a history that shows us we did it once but thanks to
abolitionists such as William Wilberforce the trans-atlantic slave trade was
stopped. Though the stories haunted me even to the point of dreaming of it at
times, I had a responsibility as Christ’s ambassador (2 Cor. 5:14-20) to know
more. I heard a former prostitute share her story. I watched documentaries
educating and mobilizing. I had conversations with local abolitionists. But
there were times when I had to look away as I watched documentaries, I had to
stop reading, and I cringed holding my stomach as I listened because of the
horror. Those close to me thought I was annoying with how much I talked about
it and how I would try to encourage them to buy fair trade. The horror and the
words of those close to me drove me slowly to stop reading and talking and
searching to know more and speak out. Eventually I forgot.
No of course not fully. You can’t. But I wasn’t doing
anything it was just dead knowledge in my head.
Two nights ago as I sat in my cushioned theater seat, God
moved. Nefarious (adjective): extremely
wicked or villainous; iniquitous. This is the name of the documentary I saw
tonight. It is a documentary on the sex industry. I went in excited then the
first ten minutes finished and the air was knocked out of my chest. God was
beginning to remind me, who I had forgotten.
No comments:
Post a Comment