I just finished watching my friend draw a portrait. From the first basic shape to the signature, I saw the facial structure change again and again as she strived to capture the age, the texture, the emotion. She had to erase the imperfections so that the portrait matched the picture she was drawing from. I sat in awe as I watched her know exactly which graphite weight to use, of each stroke of her charcoal, of each eraser mark.... there was one point when I asked her placement of something. She just smiled and assured me that one she was finished it would all fit.
I was reminded, I am Christ's workmanship...His poem (the Greek) (Eph. 2:8-10). In the same way my friend had to refine her drawing and as all artists do, there is refining in life as well. I wonder if art could speak what emotions it would express as it was continually being changed...would it be similar to the painful times the imperfections are being chipped away? similar to when I am being refined? Oh but for the day that is coming when my precious and holy Jesus returns, on that day His work in me will be complete (Phil 1:6). For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it (Heb 12:11).
Continue to erase what needs to be Father. Shape and mold me to you. Make my desires your own. Take me through these hard times so that I may be more like you on the other side (of the struggles). Oh I long for that day Jesus, to be with You perfectly.
No comments:
Post a Comment