It is because of modesty. I never understood the significance of the veils that the Muslim women wear but it is because of modesty. Something I'd admire about Muslims (generalization) is their commitment. The Quran speaks of modesty being an important virtue and therefore the women obey. I was once told by a man who worked with Muslims that the reason for the head coverings was to cover up their hair, their beauty and pride. Some even go to the extent of only having their eyes showing. Even men abiding by modesty. In "The Desert Rat: The Remarkable Story of Aileen Coleman" by Annette Adams, Adams speaks of a time when she is visting Aileen in Jordan and a middle eastern man came close to touching her but backed away quickly with his hands raised as if someone were shooting at him, saying that he didn't touch her. For in the Quran is says that a man may not touch a woman unless it is his mother, sister, or wife. Modesty is so highly valued.
When I think of modesty today in our culture, two thoughts run through my mind; 1800s and shame. By the 1800s I mean the era of "Pride and Prejudice" when there was etiquette in regards to many things but specifically when it came to interacting with the opposite sex and in presentation of oneself. but sadly over the years, for whatever reason we now think there is no need for etiquette and then to think modesty is key? ha. It is a sad realization and maybe I am looking at our culture with a pessimistic view but I think of the media. Movies: it is terribly hard to be able to go to a movie nowadays and not have some perverse humor, sex scenes, or women who are barely dressed. Music: songs without perverse messages are a rarity now. Internet: everything and anything. Even checking out in a grocery store there are magazines filled with pornographic images for all the world to see. Then there are girls, even Christ Followers, who don't see clothing their problem. It's the guys' fault if that's what they're thinking. But it's not just girls, guys have their own modesty issues.
When did lack of modesty become okay? Have we become desensitized to such things? I think we need to take a lesson in modesty from our Muslim neighbors.
1 comment:
Very interesting lesson learned.... I agree that what we need to do is wake up from our stagnation. Francis Chan used the illustration of an escalator to reprsent living our lives. He explained it this way.
" Following Christ isn't something that can be done halfheartedly or on the side. It is not a label we can display when it is useful. It must be central to everything we do and are... We are on a never-ending downward escalator. In order to grow we have to turn around and sprint up the escalator putting up with perturbed looks from everone else who is gradually moving downward. I believe that much of the American church going population while not specifically swimming downstream is slowly floating away from Christ."
If I trully believe that knowing Christ is the most valuable and important thing in life than my life should reflect that. Far to often we dont like giving things up and not following the way of the world because we are lazy and prideful. I say prideful because I want to live out my life the way I want to ( including the clothing I will and will not wear) as opposed to how must I live in view of who I am in Christ, and will this promote or hinder the spread of the gospel.
By the way I would recommend the book "sex is not the problem lust is" by Joshua Harris. I recommend this not saying that you need to read this but as a resource to send others to in the future. I have read several books which deal with addictions to pornography or dealing with purity both physical and mental and this book is the best that I have read. It is written to both a male and female audience. Oh and another book I would recommend ( this one I have not read) "Feminine Appeal" by Carolyn Mahaney This is recommended by Harris " there is no better book I know of that can help women of all ages gain a biblical perspective on femininity and godliness.
Which to close, sorry for the length, we all need to be living in light of what Christ has done for us. Look at 1 Tim 4:6-16 specifically notice verse 10 What do we have our hope set on? What are we toiling and striving for?
Godliness? For it is of great gain in this life and the next and it is what will bring God the most glory which is what we should be doing in view,experiencially that is, of His incredible grace which He has lavished on us.
I am proud of you
Post a Comment